Re: [Xen-users] Please help estimate number of the domUs

You should measure the performance of the SAN using something like IOmeter (running IOmeter on the hardware you plan to run XenServer or XCP on). Assuming you configure those drives in RAID10, I would guess that SAN would deliver about 2,000 to 5,000 IOPS. If you use RAID5 (please don't), then you will see far less IOPS during mixed read and write tests.

If you want to deploy 100 VMs onto that SAN, then each VM is only have to have 20-50 IOPS (assuming RAID10). The performance in each VM will be less than fantastic. If the VMs need to do any IO intensive tasks, the owners of the VMs are probably going to complain about sluggish performance. I don't think the SAN you listed can deliver enough IOPS to satisfy 100 VMs.