Re: [Xen-users] migrate from physical disk problems in xen

>I've been trying to migrate a win nt 4 machine to a xen domu for the
>past few months with no success. However, on my current attempt, the
>original hardware no longer boots, so I'm trying to resolve the issues
>with xen properly, or else take a long holiday...
>
>Anyway, the physical machine had a 9G drive (OS drive), a 147 G drive
>(not in use) and a 300G drive (all SCSI Ultra320 on the same SCSI
>controller)
>
>Everytime, I've booted linux, used dd to image the original 2 drives
>(ignored the 147G drive), and written each image with dd to an LV
>
>This is exported by iscsi to xen
>
>The c: works fine, and I can boot properly in VGA mode (safe mode) but
>the 300G drive always shows as corrupt. I've now upgraded to win2000 in
>the VM, and win2000 reports the drive as healthy (hardware) but blank
>with no filesystem on it.
>
>However, on the xen machine, I can use fdisk to see the partition
>table, kpartx -a to add the partition device in /dev/mapper, and I can
>even mount the drive in Linux and see all of it's contents.
>
>I suspect the problem is the way windows translates the CHS values of
>the drive, and so can't see things the same way that NT could on the
>physical hardware.
>
>I'm at a complete loss on how to resolve this issue, or what to
>try/look at. If all else fails I figured to try and create a new 300G
>drive, format it from win2k, and then somehow transfer the files from
>Linux into win2k, without losing any of the permissions / etc which I
>guess will be somewhat challenging.
>
>Any suggestions, or advise would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>Adam
>
>--
>Adam Goryachev
>Website Managers
>www.websitemanagers.com.au

Just had a thought to try reading the drive with linux within the domU, so I
booted ubuntu 11.10 to run from CD within the domU, and it fails to read the
drive as well. So it seems to be xen itself is causing the drive to look
different in the VM compared to in the physical machine.

However, fdisk -l is identical from domu an dom0

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else could be different? The
original drive was exactly 300,000,000,000 bytes, but lvm rounded up the size
of the LV, but the partition should be the same size anyway. I don't know how
to force LVM to avoid rounding the size.

Any suggestions or assistance would be exceptionally helpful

Regards,
Adam

Regards,
Adam