Re: [Xen-users] iscsi on xen

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Simon Hobson" <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 10:55:21 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 10:57:08 +0000

jacek burghardt wrote:
I wonder if someone can point me in right directions. I have two dell servers I
setup iscsi so I have four 2 tb hard drives and i had used lvm to create one
big partiton and share it using iscsi. How I go about assigning sections of
iscsi for virtual hard drives . should go about assigning Should I export the
whole 8TB as one iscsi and then use lvm to create smaller virtual disk. Or
should I export smaller portions of lvm as separate iscsi.

I think general advice tends to be to create a separate iSCSI volume for each
virtual disk, or at the very least per virtual machine. That way it's easy to
resize a volume at the iSCSI level, and to move a guest by disconnecting the
volume from one host and connect it to a different one.

You could use just one big volume, put LVM on it, and slice it up that way -
but then the entire volume (and all the guest volumes within it) are tied to
just one machine - unless you go for a clustered LVM setup.

Also, you need to do the iSCSI connections in Dom0 - because fo the way Xen
networking works (single thread in Dom0), iSCSI performance in a DomU is
"rather poor".