Re: [Xen-users] Automating boot of Ubuntu on encrypted LVM?

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: <J.Witvliet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 12:11:19 +0200
  • Accept-language: en-US, nl-NL
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US, nl-NL
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:12:59 +0000

Indeed, Rich,

Security, ease-of-use and costs form a triangle and you have to define what's
most important.
A nice option is indeed to retrieve a luks-key from a file, and you can store
that on a usb-stick, or even on a smartcard or Etoken. But if everybody has
access to it, what do you gain?

In general, if you replace "what-you-know" with "what-you-have" be certain that
not everybody can-have-that.
Secondly, take care of a (protected) backup of "what-you-knew" or
"what-you-had" ;-)