Re: [Xen-users] Audio PCI passthrough issues in a Linux domU

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Arjen <arjenvanweelden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I accidentally reproduce my audio passthrough problem in KVM and discovered
> a work-around for Xen. When I boot dom0 with pciback.hide=(00:1b.0), the
> passthrough appears to work but the sound playback is choppy and noisy.
>
> Instead, I let the snd_hda_intel driver load and own the 00:1b.0 device
> during the boot of dom0. After starting dom0 I do a
> xl pci-assignable-add 00:1b.0, which unloads the snd_hda_intel dirver,
> before starting the domU with PCI passthrough. Apparently, some kind of
> initialization by the dom0 (or KVM host) is necessary for smooth audio
> playback in the domU.
>
> I don't know how this fixes my problem, but I hope this work-around might be
> useful for others with similar sound issues.
>
> kind regards, Arjen

Arjen

I have got my setup up and running, passing through an Intel C600/X79
HDAC to a Gentoo HVM guest. It works fine with hiding from the kernel,
no workarounds needed. I have no idea what causes your problems, but
if you want to look at some of my configuration I'd be glad to.

- OJ