Re: [Xen-users] BSOD after installing EJB Digital GPLPV Drivers on fresh Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise

  • To: Jan Hejl <jh@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 22:01:47 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-AU, en-US
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 22:02:41 +0000

> Dne 8.1.2014 01:06, James Harper napsal(a):
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> i've just installed new (clean and fully updated) Windows 2008 R2
> >> Enterprise domU on Xen 4.3.1-r1 (Gentoo, hardened, kernel 3.11.2) as
> >> PVHVM and tried to install GPLPV to make it work as proper PVHVM
> domU.
> >> But after installing the newest signed drivers from
> >> http://www.ejbdigital.com.au/GPLPV/ (doesn't matter which version) it
> >> seems fine until reboot. Then it throws BSOD with
> >> DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (see attached image).
> >>
> >> Same problem with older Univention drivers.
> >>
> >> When I remove vif device from xen config file, windows domU goes fine,
> >> but it's useless without internet connection.
> >>
> >> Any ideas what can be wrong? Disabling IPv6 through regedit didn't help
> >> at all.
> >>

> >> vif = [
> >>    'bridge=xenbr1, script=vif-bridge, mac=00:16:3e:58:cc:24,
> >> model=e1000'
> >> ]
> >
> > Can you try omitting the model from the vif declaration? That's the only
> difference I can see between yours and my servers.
> >
> > The crashing driver is reported as sacdrv.sys, but that's part of the OS as
> > far
> as I can tell. Maybe there is something about the e1000 driver that windows
> doesn't like having it unplugged by GPLPV?
> >
> > James
> >
> Hi James,
>
> unfortunately ommiting model declaration didn't help. I also tried to
> install last drivers from uninvention.de (with ommited model
> declaration) and it throws another exception (see attachment).
>
> Could you please post your config, please?
>
> Maybe i'm missing something, could you please post your install steps?
> Or check mine?
>
> 1. Install clean Windows 2008 R2 machine
> 2. Install all windows updates
> 3. Install GPLPV drivers.
> 4. ... it should work, but it doesn't for me ...

I always install PV drivers before installing updates (takes forever
otherwise), but other than that that's exactly what I do. Installing the
updates first won't make a difference.

Next, please make the following changes to your config file, just to test:

Change memory to 2048
Get rid of audio= and soundhw= lines
Change vcpus to 1

If that resolves the problem, please tinker with the above to see if you can
isolate which caused the problem. If I get a minute I'll try your config on my
server. I'm not confident that it will make any difference though.

Are you using a non-english version of Windows. I seem to remember someone else
reporting a problem that I couldn't reproduce, and the only difference was that
they were using a non-english version of Windows. If you are, do you have an
English language version you could test with to see if the problem remains?

Thanks

James