Re: [Xen-users] Guest domain cannot connect to outside network

On Sun, 2014-01-26 at 11:38 -0500, Meng Xu wrote:

>         If that doesn't help then can you tell us where on the network
>         your DHCP
>         server and gateway are (are they in dom0, elsewhere on the
>         network etc).
>         Are you able to ping domU->dom0 and domU->gateway?
>

> Inside domU, its Gateway is 10.0.50.1, its address is 10.0.50.253;
> domU cannot ping 10.0.50.1 or dom0; (But domU's DNS works, it can find
> the ip address of www.google.com). domU's DNS is  158.130.21.22; The
> DNS or DHCP server is NOT in dom0; they are controlled by our
> university.
> One thing to note is that: domU can use `apt-get` to install package
> from outside network; But domU can NOT ping outside network, e.g.,
> www.google.com.

So it seems to me that, contrary to the $subject line, your domU's
network is fine and it is only ping which is not working.

In that case it is more than likely that something in your network
infrastructure (like your IT department's firewalls for example, or your
dom0 or domU firewalls) are simply blocking ICMP (ping) traffic.

> Inside dom0, its Gateway is 158.130.50.1, Its DHCP is 158.130.21.22;
> dom0 can NOT pinig 10.0.50.253.
>

> Right now, I'm thinking if the Gateway 10.0.50.1 really exist? It
> seems that the ip address automatically assigned to the domU is
> incorrect.

Perhaps 10.0.50.1 is simply configured to not respond to pings?

If the gateway came from your IT departments infrastructure and you
believe it to be wrong then I think you need to speak to them about it.

> If I manually change the domU's ip address to 158.130.50.XX, which is
> in the same sub-network of my dom0's xenbr0's ip address, domU can
> reach the outside network. However, I don't think this is a good idea
> because each domU will need a static ip address.

If your DHCP server is serving up incorrect IP addresses then this
should be fixed on the server side.

Ian.