Re: [Xen-users] VGA passthrough with Xen 4.3 and xl toolstack - performance degradation resolved?

On 03/13/2014 08:33 PM, H. Sieger wrote:
I spent the last 8 hours testing VGA passthrough with a AMD Radeon 7770
card. Here the setup:

Hardware: Asus Sabertooth X79 with latest BIOS and VT-d enabled; i7
3930K CPU; Sapphire Radeon 6450 for dom0, Sapphire Radeon 7770 for domU.

1st trial - Linux Mint 16 64 bit with kernel 3.11.0-18 and Xen 4.3.0;
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit; both installed on external USB3 disk:

In short, a disaster. I first tried the xl toolstack I was using with my
regular configuration (same m/b and CPU, but AMD Radeon 7770 for dom0
and Nvidia Quadro 2000 for domU).
I tried to make a new Windows installation in domU. After each shutdown
of the domU I had to reboot the whole machine, else I would get libxl...
errors and nothing. dom0 wouldn't even shut down, had to hard reset. I
somehow managed to install Windows, but once I tried to install the
graphics driver for the AMD card Windows sooner or later gave me a blue
screen.

Did you build from source or use distro packages? If you are using the distro packages it is possible your distribution's packages are broken or old enough to contain regressions.

Next I tried with xm. I started from scratch, setting up a new Windows
LVM volume. xm create ... failed with "error 22". That sounds familiar.
I had the same issue with my regular Nvidia setup some time ago with Xen
4.1.3. But I thought that by Xen 4.3 this was fixed?!

I'm sure I remember this bug and it was due to a regression at some point. Ah, here it is:

http://xen.crc.id.au/bugs/view.php?id=5

Regression introduced in XSA-46.

In the bug report someone suggests to pass through only the first
function of the graphics card, in my case PCI ID 02:00.0, and not
specify the second (HDMI audio) function 02:00.1. I tried but no luck.
Just to make sure, removed the graphics card from the PCI passthrough
devices and only left a USB controller to pass through, which worked!

long ago. Or is that a kernel issue?

Where do your packages/binaries come from?

2nd trial - Linux Mint 13 64 bit with kernel 3.2 and Xen 4.1.2; Windows
7 Pro 64 bit; both installed on external USB3 disk:

I vaguely recall issues with a number of kernels. I'm currently running with 3.9.9 (I should have upgrade to 3.12 by now but 3.9.9 works without any issues for me so I am finding it hard to persuade myself to try upgrading.)

I installed the long term release Linux Mint 13 that worked well when I
started out with Xen VGA passthrough. After installation and upgrading
all packages and the kernel, I installed Xen and then downgraded using
"Force version" in Synaptic to the earliest Xen release available in the
repos, which was 4.1.2 if I remember correctly.
This time I only used xm. Installation went smooth, no hickups no
nothing after multiple reboots of Windows. Passthrough works just fine
with the AMD Radeon 7770. I ran the WEI, both prior and after installing
the GPLPV drivers in Windows - it made no difference - 5.9 lowest score
for disk (a 2.5" HDD attached via USB3), 2D and 3D graphics are 7.5,
memory 7.9 (with 8GB for Windows), and CPU 7.8 (I gave it 8 of 12
VCPUS). I even installed the Unigine demo and benchmark - it ran fine
though the 7770 is really not up for it with 21fps.

passthrough.

Does it continue working across domU reboots?

To me this looks like some ancient bugs are still not fixed (with regard
to xm), and probably never will since it's been deprecated. The sad
story, however, is that xl has its own serious problems with VGA
passthrough.

It works for me (Xen 4.3.0 with xl, kernel 3.9.9).

Whatever it is, it's not an AMD driver issue. The problems start long
before I even managed to install the AMD driver.

And with 4.1.2 you can reboot the domU multiple times without it resulting in massive slow-down, BSODs, or the card not coming up?

Hope someone from Xen development has a look at this. Although this
means reconfiguring my hardware, I'd be happy to help in debugging if
anyone is willing to try and fix it.

Gordan