Re: [Xen-users] Need support for xen network configuration

Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> lee <lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> Rather than add aliases, AIUI it's now preferred to just add addresses
>>> (whether in the same subnet or a different one).
>>> So something like :
>>> iface eth0 inet static
>>>  address 192.168.1.1
>>>  post up ip addr add address 192.168.1.7/24
>>>  post up ip addr add address 10.0.0.1/24
>>
>> /24?
>
> As already mention, that's the easy way of writing the subnet mask.

I know --- I'm somewhat puzzled about it because when assigning an
address to an interface, it's usually one particular address and not a
subnet that is being assigned.

>> Please be aware that a bridge is a bridge.  When you do this, you
>> connect all these different networks with each other.  That is probably
>> *not* what you want.
>
> In the OPs case I think it is. He appears to have all traffic on one physical
> link - so the easiest way to handle it is to keep it as one network all the
> way through. So one bridge, and just configure the appropriate IP(s) on each
> DomU.

Well, in this context, connecting networks can easily appear as if it
was merely an irrelevant side effect of a bridge.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.