Re: [Xen-users] HTPC + DUAL PC In one

"J. Roeleveld" <joost@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> somewhat mutually
>> >
>> > The old dogma says: "Cheap, fast, reliable - pick any two."
>>
>> Cheap and fast?  How would that go together?
>
> Easy, take an old Intel 386, overclock it to run at 1Ghz and cool it
> using liquid nitrogen. (Has been done)
>
> Was reliable, until the coolant ran out....

I doubt that would be fast or cheap.  Overclocking doesn't add
features/capabilities.  I never got a CPU to work overclocked, either,
and I've never seen one working overclocked.

Having the cooling system manufactured would be expensive, and it might
take some trial and error before you can come up with a flow regulator
that makes sure not to freeze the CPU so much that it becomes too
brittle without letting it overheat.  You also need to make sure the
system shuts down automatically before the coolant runs out.

Add to that the price of the liquid nitrogen --- if you can get any at
all.  And then think of what precautions you'd have to take for working
with that kind of coolant ...

When you've solved all these problems, you need to modify the CPU so it
can run 64bit software and address reasonable amounts of memory.  Good
luck with that.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.