Re: [Xen-users] [Xen VGA Passthrough] AMD R9 290X GPU???

On 14 September 2014 06:26:31 GMT+00:00, Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On 2014-09-13 13:13, Peter Kay wrote:

>> KVM is capable of side loading the GPU BIOS, yes. For some people
>this
>> is not required, but when I tried it, it was.
>
>Interesting. I wouldn't expect this to be required for secondary
>passthrough if a device reset method is implemented.

I think under KVM I was mostly doing primary passthrough, so it's different. On
Xen it's generally been secondary; I may re-try again with the ATI patches at
some point, but I've not had much success and the faux 'quadro 6000' is working
fine.

>I thought PCI passthrough was broken on X38. It's one of the
>reasons I retired my X38 motherboard to the test bench duties.

The 3210 chipset is its own special beast, based on, but not exactly the same
as X38. I think most, but not all X38 motherboards do not work. The exceptions
are, I believe, the Intel 38BT and if I remember correctly there's a third
party (DFI? Gigabyte?) That supplied a beta BIOS that made things work.