Re: [Xen-users] Arch linux PV guest won't boot

hda and hdb look like references to old P-ATA (IDE) disks
indeed looks weird to me here ?

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 9:36 AM, Ian Campbell <ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2014-10-13 at 23:34 +0800, H C wrote:
> Hi,
> I have Xen installed and running several (win 7) HVMs. I've setup an
> Arch linux PV guest but I am having a problem booting it. (The install
> image booted fine.) After each failed attempt to boot I try to view
> the /var/log/xen/bootloader.XX.log file but all of these files are
> zero bytes. So, I'm having some trouble troubleshooting this. I
> followed the instructions from
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xen on setting up an Arch PV and
> do not think I missed anything.

Which version of Xen are you using? ISTR older versions of xl couldn't
handle pygrub on image backed disks, but I don't recall when this
changed. This is fixed in more modern ones it requires a qemu process in
dom0 -- this is now started by the xencommons initscript.

> disk = [ '/vm/arch1/arch1.img,,hda,w', '/vm/img/ARCH_201410.iso,,hdb,cdrom']

I'm not sure what hda means to a PV guest, maybe nothing bad would
happen but it would be more usual to use xvda (likewise for hdb).

> My understanding is that pygrub will take care of booting as long as
> /boot/grub/grub.conf exists and is setup correctly which I believe I have done.
> I copied the sample grub.conf from
> "Xen - ArchWiki"(https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xen)
> and used the UUID for "/" found in /etc/fstab (its the same I get from blkid)
> The wiki mentions that without certain modules in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
> the VM will not boot. But I've added them as shown below.
> So I'm not sure why I'm getting the above error.

One thing you can try is running pygrub by hand on the filesystem image,
which might get some additional logs (which really ought to be captured,
but perhaps they aren't for some reason).

You can also invoke GrubConf.py (on my system it is
in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/grub/GrubConf.py) passing it
"grub2" and your grub.cfg and it should parse it and tell you the
result. If that fails then it might give some clue what is going wrong.

Ian.