[Xen-users] vga passthrough with amd radeon r9 285

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Brian Paterni <bpaterni@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 10:54:35 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 16:55:12 +0000

Hi all,

I posted this message to xen-users yesterday, but I haven't seen it
listed in the archives, so I'm thinking it may have been lost in the
ether somewhere. Trying again while subscribed to the list. Hopefully
this mail makes it through...

I'm trying to passthrough an AMD Radeon R9 285 to a windows domu, but so
far have had no luck.

dom0 is debian unstable (linux 3.16, xen 4.4.1). Though with the
qemu-traditional device model removed in debian [1], gfx_passthru is
currently not possible with debian-provided packages (?)

1: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=776742

As a result, I've begun to compile from source, but xen git master
results in the fallowing error message:

   The kernel doesn't support reset from sysfs for PCI device

Since the message lists the 'kernel', I thought it might have something
to do with the kernel in debian. So I compiled a linux kernel
(3.19.0-rc6+) from source. However I still experience the same error
message.

Now I'm at a loss for what to try next. The r9 285 is a relatively new
gpu. In fact, there currenty is no FOSS drivers for for it (amdgpu has
yet to be released). Therefore, could the non-working gfx_passthru be
the result of missing bits in either the linux kernel or xen that have
yet to be dropped in? Or am I just 'doing it wrong'? The fact that the
r9 2xx family is listed as supported at [2] leads me to believe it's the
latter.

2:
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_VGA_Passthrough_Tested_Adapters#ATI.2FAMD_display_adapters

Attached should be some more information I thought to include. Let me
know if you need anything else.