Re: [Xen-users] N00b question: STOP 0x7B when doing a P2V

On Wed, Feb 04, 2015 at 03:07:27PM +0100, Marc de Bruin wrote:
> Dear Xen-gurus,
>
> I've searched the archives for a possible solution for my problem and
> talked with people on the Qubes mailing list but with no success, so I'm
> turning to you now.
>
> I'm running Qubes R2 with Xen 4.1.6.1.
>
> I'm trying to do a P2V from a physical disk to a Xen HVM on Qubes. The
> physical disk contains Windows 7 EE x64, with no special drivers (e.g.,
> no nvidia or amd/ati graphics stuff) besides the stuff available from
> the original DVD.
>
> The way I'm trying to do it is the simplest way I could think of, in pseudo:
>
> On the source, attached an external USB-drive:
> - dd if=/dev/sda of=/mnt/usb/sda.file bs=100MB
>
> On the target, attached the USB-drive:
> - dd if=/mnt/usb/sda.file of=/dev/xvda bs=100MB
>
> The source and target hardware is the same (same machine, swapping
> internal disks,  Windows disk small, Qubes disk large). From an
> fdisk-perspective, the HVM target seems fine (2 partitions, one small
> active bootable 100 MB partition, one big partition with the actual
> Windows 7).
>
> Now, starting the HVM results in a STOP 0x7B BSOD somewhere in the boot
> process. :-( I'm not able to start safemode (also 0x7B) and repairing
> doesn't help.
>
> So I'm guessing I either need to prepare the source before running dd
> (e.g., add additional IDE/ATA-drivers) or add those drivers from the
> Windows 7 recovery mode command prompt.
>
> However, I'm unable to conclude which drivers to add, and when. Or am I
> on the wrong track with this.
>
> If this all makes no sense what-o-ever, feel free to tell me so because
> I'm kinda new to this.
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
> Greetz,
> Marc.

I used to use the unsupported method at the bottom of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082 to solve this.  I
assume that either the same or a similar method will work for Windows 7.  Make
sure to connect the disk as hda
in the xen configuration (as opposed to sda) so that it is attached to the
emulated IDE controller.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 seems to be the equivalent Windows 7
workaround.

James