Re: [Xen-users] VGA Passthrough attempted with an Nvidia GTX970

On 12 February 2015 08:40:35 GMT+00:00, Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On 2015-02-12 04:58, jacek burghardt wrote:
>> Did you try to assign more memory to win guest ? I would try with 4gb
>
>That is not great advice - there are hardware and BIOS bugs that
>can cause problems with more than between 1GB and 3GB of RAM passed
>through (e.g. any hardware with NF200 PCIe bridges).
Adding more memory is very unlikely to help, but might work once the
configuration is proven. I'd start with 1GB until it's fine. I get the
impression NF200 bridges are less common these days.

I'd also note that whilst it's generally true that Quadros are not cheap and
that many that are do not have MultiOS enabled. However, this is not
universally true, an FX3800 or FX4800 are not unreasonably priced if you get
them second hand on ebay. I've just ordered an FX3800 after (unsurprisingly)
failing to get a Radeon 6450 passing through from FreeBSD - I need a single
slot card. It wasn't appreciably cheaper to find a model I could flash a BIOS
on to, like I did with the GTX480 to Quadro 6000 mod.

PK