Re: [Xen-users] Video Passthrough

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 09:51:31 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 09:52:43 +0000

On 2015-03-23 22:01, jacek burghardt wrote:
I have couple of amd video cards working fine. I had tested with
nvidia 220 and it shows error 43 in windows. What nvidia card are you
using ?

Xen (at least at version 4.3 which is what I was using until last week)
doesn't have Nvidia driver check neutering features required for the
driver to be oblivious to the fact it's running in a VM. Therefore
you have to either modify the card's device ID to an equivalent
Quadro/Tesla/Grid that Nvidia allow to work in VMs, or do something
even more radical (modify the driver, with all the knock-on effects
of that).

I was using GTX 780Ti cards modified into Quadro K6000.

On KVM you can set "-cpu host,kvm=off" to make sure QEMU doesn't
override the CPU vendor ID with QEMU, as the Nvidia driver checks
for that. If the driver doesn't know it's in a VM, it'll initialize
the card as if it were running on bare metal.

When I was prototyping the replacement on a similar rig, I used
GT 630 cards, which also worked just fine. I have since de-soldered
the modifications on my 780Ti cards since it is no longer needed,
and the GeForce feature set is more appropriate for my use than the
Quadro feature set.

Gordan