Re: [Xen-users] Video Passthrough

On Tuesday 24 March 2015 13:40:14 you wrote:

> On 23 March 2015 19:56:48 GMT+00:00, CACook@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> >Has anyone been able to actually get video passthrough working in 4.5?
> >
> Yes, with caveats. A Quadro 6000 is working fine with Windows 8.1. A Quadro
> 2000 or FX3800 is ok with debian Linux. FreeBSD is not happy.
>
> This is secondary passthrough. On the whole secondary passthrough is much
> more convenient, particularly if anything goes wrong (when your VM hangs for
> half an hour because the non working display should have been displaying
> 'checking disk' you'll want a virtual display..)
>
> If your primary reason for virtualisation is GPU passthrough, KVM is
> definitely superior. It's easier to get working and allows for sideloading of
> GPU BIOSes, essential in some cases.
>
> I'm going to stick with Xen for now. I'm hopeful I can convince NVidia to
> sort out the issues I've been having with FreeBSD and passthrough.
>
> Note that if you are having issues, NVidia's list of supported VM
> environments is Xenserver, RHEL 7 KVM and ESXi. ESXi has the most wide
> ranging guest support, but has its own issues with passthrough - I cannot get
> the Quadro 2000 to work properly under it.

I don't have any extra slots for another GPU.

GPU passthrough isn't my primary reason for using Xen, but it is a vital
function of one VM.

So I take it that Amazon has made some special changes to Xen, to be able to
assemble their massively-parallel GPU supercomputers.  Special changes that
they haven't shared.