Re: [Xen-users] Video Passthrough

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 14:45:49 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 14:46:14 +0000

On 2015-03-24 14:34, CACook@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Tuesday 24 March 2015 13:40:14 you wrote:

On 23 March 2015 19:56:48 GMT+00:00, CACook@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Has anyone been able to actually get video passthrough working in 4.5?

Yes, with caveats. A Quadro 6000 is working fine with Windows 8.1. A Quadro 2000 or FX3800 is ok with debian Linux. FreeBSD is not happy.

This is secondary passthrough. On the whole secondary passthrough is much more convenient, particularly if anything goes wrong (when your VM hangs for half an hour because the non working display should have been displaying 'checking disk' you'll want a virtual display..)

If your primary reason for virtualisation is GPU passthrough, KVM is definitely superior. It's easier to get working and allows for sideloading of GPU BIOSes, essential in some cases.

I'm going to stick with Xen for now. I'm hopeful I can convince NVidia to sort out the issues I've been having with FreeBSD and passthrough.

Note that if you are having issues, NVidia's list of supported VM environments is Xenserver, RHEL 7 KVM and ESXi. ESXi has the most wide ranging guest support, but has its own issues with passthrough - I cannot get the Quadro 2000 to work properly under it.

I don't have any extra slots for another GPU.

GPU passthrough isn't my primary reason for using Xen, but it is a
vital function of one VM.

So I take it that Amazon has made some special changes to Xen, to be
able to assemble their massively-parallel GPU supercomputers.  Special
changes that they haven't shared.

No, they use Nvidia Quadro/Tesla/Grid cards in secondary passthrough mode.
As I said before, that works fine. They certainly aren't passing primary
Intel GPUs to their VMs.

Gordan