[Xen-users] xen-4.5.0 and dom0 x11 vm sdl/vnc woes

greetings,

two things recently changed in my hardware/xen/linux/x11
configuration, and that caused me some problems.
1.  i replaced my hardware because the old started failing.
    the new hardware uses an intel915fb video driver
2.  i upgraded from xen 4.4.0 to 4.5.0

x11 used to shift from screen to screen with an alt-tab sequence.
it still starts out that way, but if i open a display to a xen vm
via sdl or tigervnc, something alters my x11 to the point that
x11 will no longer recognize and process the alt-tab sequence.
i cannot left-click on a window to activate its focus.  instead, i
must right-click and pick the option from the window listing.  the
x11 restart menu option does NOT work in this state.  terminating
the sdl/vnc window does NOT reset the problem.  the only way to
reset this misbehavior seems to be dropping out of x11 and
restarting x11 from scratch.

if memory serves, my old video used fb, but not drm.  the new
required drm.

btw- it also fouls my screensaver to the point that it never blanks
the screen.  however, it draws my normal screensaver patterns as
expected.

why does this happen, and how do i fix it?

i tried vesa instead of fb, but my dom0 session cannot see the
vesa memory extensions to activate the x11 display.  only fb
seems to work under xen.  i suspect some difference between my
old video driver and the new, perhaps compounded by the upgrade
from xen 4.4.0 to 4.5.0.

a related question:  when i launch a vnc window, it sometimes
closes a different, random x11 window.  i see no rhyme or reason,
but the closed window at one time (tried to) launch(ed) a vnc
window.  if memory serves correctly, it sometimes closes windows
that did NOT run a vnc launch process.  my system provides dom0
with 4gig ram, so i cannot see lack of memory as the cause.

thank you for your time and assistance.

frank smith
--
squidmobile [at] fastmail [dot] fm