Re: [Xen-users] Booting pv-ready distro installer.iso as Xen PV DomU drops to grub prompt?

Hi Ian

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015, at 06:25 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
> DomU is completely isolated from Dom0/host as far as any of this stuff
> is concerned, the guest sees none of the host level stuff here.

Okay, that's clear. Thanks.

> There is some sort of grub helper with standalone in the name (can't
> remember exactly what right now) which I think is a kitchen sink variant
> of grub-mkimage -- might be the easiest approach.

There is a grub2-mkstandalone.

I've seen it used in some posts, but noticed that it was NOT in yours.

I wasn't sure what the difference was , so just followed your advice.

If it's a 'kitchen sink', I'll take another look at it like you suggest.

> Right, I'd have expected that path to work, but it isn't as convenient
> as you say.

I am making an assumption that installing a new PV DomU -- especially a clean
one from a distro installer iso -- with current pvgrub2 and native xl toolstack
should be a straightforward and supported use case.

I understand that not all iso's are even ready for it.  Also pvgrub2, or even
now-standard grub2, are not widely tested and documented at the distros when it
comes to DomU.

I'll get there.

Thanks again.

LT