Re: [Xen-users] xenfs: not registering fielsystem on no-xen platform

On 2016-05-12 15:31, jrun wrote:
On 2016-05-12 13:26, jrun wrote:
On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 12:23:14PM -0400, jrun wrote:
i don't think i have a serial console on this asus desktop mb unless there
is a trick to get something out of usb?

--jrun

hmm, doesn't xen have netconsole?
Linux does, but I don't think Xen does.

You probably do have a serial port on your motherboard, it's just a header
on the MB instead of an external connector.  The external connector has
fallen out of favor because it's big and not much uses it anymore, but I
have yet to see a commercially available x86 desktop motherboard that
doesn't have at least one 16655A UART hooked up to an internal header so
that a serial console can be used for debugging.

could you post a pointer to a picture of such a thing. i've seen UART on
embedded boards but on this mb (ASUS) i'm not sure.
It should be a 2.54mm pitch 2x5 header with one pin missing in a corner, with the missing pin placed such that you can't plug an internal USB cable into it, sometimes with a large shroud sized to fit an insulation displacement connector, similar to what you'd see on an embedded board. Usually, you can find 'UART1' or more often 'COM1' (sometimes with an _ just before the 1) silk-screened on the board nearby.

On most of the ATX and micro-ATX motherboards I've seen (including all such ASUS motherboards) it's on the farthest side from the CPU, near the audio and USB headers, often right up against the edge of the board.

If you're using an Intel system and have a CPU which supports vPro, you may
also be able to get a network console via AMT, although some BIOS/UEFI
configuration UI's don't properly support console redirection.  Taking that
approach may also require some extra command-line parameters for Xen, but
I'm not 100% certain about that.

in BIOS i see 'Serial Port1 Address [3F8/IRQ4]' under ODC (there doesn't
seem to be any AMT).
The fact that you see that in the BIOS is generally a good indication that you have a serial port _somewhere_ on the board, but of course provides no indication of where exactly.

As far as the AMT console redirection, it's usually not all that visible on anything but server systems, and often can't be configured at all from the BIOS on laptops and consumer desktops (in fact, I'm pretty sure the only systems we have where I work that have BIOS configuration for it are either servers, or workstations which have server motherboards).