Re: [Xen-users] Monitoring Xen via Nagios

On Monday, July 18, 2016 11:43 AM, Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jason Long <hack3rcon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> In order to monitor something, you need to define what it is you want to
>> monitor. "Xen health" isn't something specific, you need to be quite
>> specific as to what >you want to monitor.
>> I work on the basis that if my guests are running and visible on the network
>> then Xen must be running. Beyond that, define "health" - do you mean there's
>> free >memory, not too much CPU load, something else ... ?
>
> Yes, All options are good but I mean is that I want to know when a Xen VM
> stopped or failed or even Xen service not worked correctly. Can you show me
> how can I write this config

Sorry, but I can't - as I said I don't monitor Xen directly, I just monitor the
guests and work on the basis that if the guests are running then Xen must be
working.

> and what is the correct folder for put my config i it?

At the root of your Nagios (or Nagios-nrpe) install is the main config file.
Typically this will have a load of include statements that pull in other config
files and the plugin definitions. Your config must be part of what gets pulled
in.

Personally, and this is just one way of doing it, I have folders within my
Nagios config directory (by default, /etc/nagios3 on Debian) for our own stuff
and for customers. Then within the customers directory I have a file for each
customer, and within our own folder I have a file for hosts, a file for ARP
checks, and then files for groups of services (one for web services, one for
mail services, etc).
For the couple of locally added plugins, I can't remember exactly (and don't
have access to the system at the moment to check) in a local plugins directory
within the Nagios config directory.

The main thing is - to a certain extent it doesn't matter where you put stuff,
as long as it's logical (so you can understand it when you have to change
something in 6 months time) and it's covered by an include statement in the
Nagios config.

Thank you.
For my Monitor Xev VM I must install anything on my VM? Can you show me some
example of config file?