Re: [Xen-users] Monitoring Xen via Nagios

Jason Long <hack3rcon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For my Monitor Xev VM I must install anything on my VM? Can you show me some
> example of config file?

It depends on what you want to monitor.
As long as you haven't blocked them, ping will tell if the system is up,
running, and has network connectivity - this can be done without installing
anything on the guest.
Service checks like HTTP and SMTP will tell if the service is running - again
no remote software required.

If you want to check things like disk space, cpu load etc, then you either need
to install an SNMP agent or Nagios NRPE on the system so that your Nagios
server can interrogate remotely.
Nagios NRPE comes (at least in Debian packaging) with an example config file
that you can adapt to your requirements.

From your Nagios system, you use a service with a check type of (from memory)
check_nrpe - with a parameter specifying the name of the check to be performed,
which needs to match a definition in your NRPE config.

SNMP checks are similar, except that you need to determine the OID to be
fetched, and the values that will trigger warning or critical status. Working
out the OID value is the tricky bit - snmp_walk is usually your friend here, or
you need to delve into the SNMP MIB which is not something to be undertaken
without some time and a good cup of coffee (or beverage of choice).

OID - Object ID, the 'address' in the SNMP tree of the object/value you want to
query.
MIB - Management Information Base. A text file which defines the tree of
values, valid values, user readable names, etc.

PS - While this is Debian specific, installing the NRPE package pulls in (or
did when I last installed it) a crapload of dependencies, few of which are
likely to be needed. The option --no-install-recommends option to apt-get
install reduces the list to the minimum required and saves installing a load of
irrelevant packages. I don't recall much about the list, but IIRC it includes
Samba which isn't needed unless you plan to be monitoring CIFS shares.