Re: [Xen-users] Xen and OS X.

George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> More specifically, one of the things that makes Apple's life a lot
> easier than Microsoft's is that they only need OS X to run on a small
> handful of hardware platforms -- platforms which Apple controls.
> Unlike Windows, which needs to run on any PC, or Linux, which runs on
> just about everything on the planet, OS X assumes that it's running on
> an Apple hardware platform and will simply fail if you try to boot it
> on a platform that doesn't look like an Apple system.

You need to differentiate between two distinct aspects. AIUI :

1) One is hardware compatibility. Apple hardware isn't that special these days
- and on the various forums etc you'll find information on what hardware is
"supported" (as in, has drivers etc). In that respect, Xen isn't so different
either - if you have a supported CPU and emulate supported devices (eg NICs)
then that's half the battle.

2) The biggie is that there is code which explicitly checks for Apple hardware
and deliberately stops the boot if it's "not genuine". So a big chunk of the
Hackintosh task is in working around this code, and dependencies on it. It's
not so much booting a "non-Apple but OS X like" kernel, but booting the real
Apple OS X kernel, but working around the bits that are designed to break the
system.

> In either case, you'd be in questionable legal waters with regard to
> the license for Apple's software (or at least this used to be the
> case), so take care.

Indeed. Though given how many forums/sites are still up after quite a long
life, one has to suspect that Apple might be taking a slightly "pragmatic"
approach to things. Yes, if you try and make money from it, they very publicly
come down like the proverbial ton of bricks - but it does appear that they at
least turn a bit of a blind eye to "personal use". That's just conjecture based
on observation - perhaps they'd rather have those personal user on board and
perhaps they'll get converted into "real" paying users over time ?

Then there's the grey areas. Parallels won't run OS X 10.6 as a VM - but there
is a workaround which makes the system "look like" it's a server version (and
then Parallels will run it). The difference is that the EULA for the server
version permits virtualisation (on Apple hardware), the desktop version permits
only running on Apple hardware.
I've had people who really you would expect to know better argue that when you
virtualise a system (in this case, with Parallels and hosted on Apple
hardware), it's no longer running on the Apple hardware. So it's held in the
same RAM, it executes on the same CPU, but it's no longer running on the Apple
hardware ... that's an "interesting" interpretation.