Re: [Xen-users] recommend AMD hardware solution for PVH???

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Austin S. Hemmelgarn" <ahferroin7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 07:30:30 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 11:31:51 +0000

On 2016-08-21 23:41, Mike Wright wrote:
Hi all,

I need to put together a consumer grade PC that supports PVH.  Intel is
not in my budget so it has to be AMD.  I already have a Phenom II with
IOMMU and NPT capability but can't find any motherboards to round out
the package, so that chip looks like a dead end.

Anybody been there/done that, that can recommend a motherboard/cpu
combination (AMD CPU) for XEN that supports PVH ?
While I can't really recommend a specific MB with an AMD chipset (The last time I used AMD in a DIY system was before I was regularly using Xen), I can say that I've had good luck with ASUS motherboards when it comes to getting a working IOMMU. Where I work we have a couple of servers built using ASUS M5-A99FX boards (hardware rev 2 FWIW), all of which have working IOMMU's recognized by Linux and usable for PCI pass through in KVM (not sure about Xen, the one Xen system we have is running only HVM domains, and doesn't have any spare processor time for me to check if PVH would work), and AFAICT, all the relevant ACPI tables are correct too, so that may be somewhere to start.