Re: [Xen-users] xen and iscsi

Christian Schneider <christian.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I want to use Xen with iscsi as storage backend (FreeNAS). My problem is that
> I cannot find any information about how to configure a domU to use it.
>
> I am looking for something like:
>
> disk        = [
>
>                'iscsi:???, xvda1, w'
>
>               ]
>

> Is this possible? Thx

You can use a device by path. Configure your host as an iSCSI initiator, and
reference the appropriate /dev/disk/by-path device.
Upsides: volume available to host when not in use by guest (useful for
troubleshooting etc).
Downsides: Needs iSCSi setup in host.

Or you can do it in the guest, and have the guest run the iSCSI initiator.
Upsides: Doesn't need iSCSI in host
Downsides: Volume not accessible by host, may be performance issues depending
on network config (has the single threaded networking in Dom0 been "fixed" ?)