iscsiadm -m node -T iqn.2016-12.blubb:$disk -p freenas-test --login  as sdX

3. Do LVM on sdX

4 Use xen-create-image with lvm as storage backend

On 12.12.2016 14:48, James Dingwall wrote:
On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 08:30:59AM -0500, Austin S. Hemmelgarn wrote:
On 2016-12-11 14:39, Christian Schneider wrote:
Hey,

I want to use Xen with iscsi as storage backend (FreeNAS). My problem is
that I cannot find any information about how to configure a domU to use it.

I am looking for something like:

disk        = [

                 'iscsi:???, xvda1, w'

                ]

Is this possible?
As far as I know, no (at least, not for PV domains, it might work for
HVM domains), but there are two pretty easy solutions:
1. Configure Domain-0 (or possibly a storage stub-domain) to connect to
the iSCSI devices, then point Xen at the local device nodes.  This has
some slight efficiency issues because of Domain-0 needing to do two
translations (iSCSI to local-block, then local-block to Xen), but is
easy to set up and doesn't need the user domains to even support iSCSI.
2. Configure the user domains to use the iSCSI devices directly.  This
is the more efficient option, but is not quite as easy to do, especially
for PV domains.
Not that I use it but the default xen install has a block-iscsi script in
/etc/xen/scripts and that shows the
syntax for the disk = [] section:

   script=block-iscsi,vdev=xvda,target=iqn=<iqn>,portal=<portal IP>

If you use this the iscsi device will be connected in dom0 and be passed
through as a normal block device.  If
you want the iscsi connection to be directly to the domU for pv you will need a
kernel and initrd which can
initiate the networking and connect the target in the initrd or for hvm you
could use a pxe environment which
can do that.

Regards,
James