Re: [Xen-users] xen and iscsi

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 08:30:59AM -0500, Austin S. Hemmelgarn wrote:
> On 2016-12-11 14:39, Christian Schneider wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I want to use Xen with iscsi as storage backend (FreeNAS). My problem is
> > that I cannot find any information about how to configure a domU to use it.
> >
> > I am looking for something like:
> >
> > disk        = [
> >
> >                 'iscsi:???, xvda1, w'
> >
> >                ]
> >

> > Is this possible?
> As far as I know, no (at least, not for PV domains, it might work for
> HVM domains), but there are two pretty easy solutions:
> 1. Configure Domain-0 (or possibly a storage stub-domain) to connect to
> the iSCSI devices, then point Xen at the local device nodes.  This has
> some slight efficiency issues because of Domain-0 needing to do two
> translations (iSCSI to local-block, then local-block to Xen), but is
> easy to set up and doesn't need the user domains to even support iSCSI.
> 2. Configure the user domains to use the iSCSI devices directly.  This
> is the more efficient option, but is not quite as easy to do, especially
> for PV domains.

Not that I use it but the default xen install has a block-iscsi script in
/etc/xen/scripts and that shows the
syntax for the disk = [] section:

  script=block-iscsi,vdev=xvda,target=iqn=<iqn>,portal=<portal IP>

If you use this the iscsi device will be connected in dom0 and be passed
through as a normal block device.  If
you want the iscsi connection to be directly to the domU for pv you will need a
kernel and initrd which can
initiate the networking and connect the target in the initrd or for hvm you
could use a pxe environment which
can do that.

Regards,
James