[Xen-users] XEN 4.6 / 4.9 - PCI-Passthrough USB 3.0 win7 / Win10 not working

  • To: xen-user-list <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: XensemannIMAP <xensemann@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 18:11:09 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 17:12:21 +0000

Hey there,
for a Continuous Integration System I need to pass through a PCI USB3.0
card to my virtual machines.

For 16.04 and winXP this is working great! The PCIe Card appears in
Windows device manager, the attached USB-Device shows up in the device
manager and works like a charm.

However, this is not possible for my system with win7 and Win10 and the
very same setup. I've tried is with xen 4.6 and xen 4.9. In those
versions PCI-Back is build in in the kernel as a model. So as far as I
got this, grub pciback command lines are not working for this. So the
card is touched by the normal USB-Driver of my 17.10 host. I tested it
with both types of PCI-Cards, some of them haven't supported FLReset and
one did support FLReset (1b6f:7023 Etron Technology Inc. EJ168 USB3.0
Host controller).

The Result is: all are not working in win7 and win10. All Cards appear
in the device manager and the driver can be installed manually.
Afterwards some devices have trouble to boot (code 10) other do not show
any error but connectet usb-devices say:"Can't reset device". Etron does
not show up any connected USB-Devices. In short => not working.

# Questiones running arround my head:
-> Why is this working for XP and Ubuntu 16.04, even if thoise USB-Cards
do not support FLReset.
-> Why is it not working for Win7 and Win10, what is different with
those OS?
-> In the www there are only a view reports about PCIe-USB-passthroughs,
has somebody made it to pass a PCIe USB 3.0 device to your win7 or win10
machine? Which configuration have you used?

Thx for reading so fare, below you'll find some infos about the system.
All the best!
Xensemann

# My system:
## Host:
Ubuntu 17.10
i7-7700 - dell precision Tower 3620

### Xen:
Xen 4.9 (from apt-get)
dumU win7x64, 16.04x64

## configuraion:
sudo xl pci-assignable-add 04:00.0
sudo xl create win7.hvm

win7.hvm:

        builder = "hvm"
        name = "win7xen"
        viridian = 1
        memory = 2048
        maxmem = 2048
        pae = 1
        vcpus = 2
        apci = 1
        acpi = 1
        disk = [ '/myPath/my,img,qcow2,xvda,rw' ]
        usb = 1
        usbdevice = 'tablet'
        sdl = 1
        xen_platform_pci = 1
        pci_permissive = 1
        pci = [ '04:00.0' ]

## other USB-PCIe cards I've tested with:

        Texas instruments: TUAB 7340 RKM TI 35I AVFQ 64
        renesass: D720202 701 1245PV049G CHINA
        Renesas: NEC JAPAN; D720200F1
        Etrontech EJ168A R144207 MQR30020 (rev 01)
        ViaTechnologies Host controller VL805

## sudo lspci -vvh (Etrontech EJ168A)

        04:00.0 0c03: 1b6f:7023 (rev 01) (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
                Subsystem: 7023:1b6f
                Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
                Capabilities: [70] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/4 Maskable+ 64bit+
                        Address: 00000000fee002f8  Data: 0000
                        Masking: 0000000f  Pending: 00000001
                Capabilities: [a0] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 01
                        DevCap: MaxPayload 1024 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s
<64ns, L1 <1us
                                ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset+
SlotPowerLimit 25.000W
                        DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
Unsupported-
                                RlxdOrd+ ExtTag+ PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
FLReset-
                                MaxPayload 256 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
                        DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq-
AuxPwr- TransPend-
                        LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1,
Exit Latency L0s
<1us, L1 <64us
                                ClockPM+ Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot- ASPMOptComp-
                        LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- CommClk+
                                ExtSynch- ClockPM+ AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                        LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+
DLActive-
BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
                        DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Not Supported,
TimeoutDis-, LTR-, OBFF
Not Supported
                        DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis-,
LTR-, OBFF
Disabled
                        LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 5GT/s, EnterCompliance-
SpeedDis-
                                 Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range,
EnterModifiedCompliance-
ComplianceSOS-
                                 Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB
                        LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB,
EqualizationComplete-,
EqualizationPhase1-
                                 EqualizationPhase2-, EqualizationPhase3-,
LinkEqualizationRequest-
                Capabilities: [100 v1] Advanced Error Reporting
                        UESta:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt-
UnxCmplt- RxOF-
MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                        UEMsk:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt-
UnxCmplt- RxOF-
MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                        UESvrt: DLP+ SDES- TLP- FCP+ CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt-
UnxCmplt- RxOF+
MalfTLP+ ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                        CESta:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout-
NonFatalErr-
                        CEMsk:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout-
NonFatalErr+
                        AERCap: First Error Pointer: 14, GenCap+ CGenEn-
ChkCap+ ChkEn-
                Capabilities: [190 v1] Device Serial Number
01-01-01-01-01-01-01-01
                Kernel driver in use: pciback