Re: [Xen-users] Xen hypervisor and HDDs with 4K sectors

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Peter Milesson <miles@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2019 19:31:22 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 26 May 2019 17:32:42 +0000

On 2019-05-26 15:28, Simon Hobson wrote:
I want to use the most modern hardware possible, and in line with that, I would
like to have the option to use HDD (or SSD) drives with 4K sectors through a
hardware RAID controller.

I have been searching information about Xen and support for drives with 4K sectors, but I
haven't seen much information on the subject. I would be sincerely
"dissappointed" if I purchase a new server for 10000+ USD, only to discover it
to be utter useless.
It shouldn't matter.
As long as the hardware is supported in Xen/Dom0, and you partition on 4k
boundaries, then the guests should be isolated from the underlying details.
Obviously it would be a good idea to also partition any virtual drives on 4k
boundaries (if partitioning in the guests).

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your input. That's the point. I have seen a few posts that the advanced disk format using 4K sectors is not compatible with Xen. RedHat/CentOS (which I'm planning to use) has got support from ver. 6.1. I'm planning to use a HPE server, and there is no information whether they supply 4K disks, except in a few cases, which are 512e (4K disks emulating the classic sector size of 512 bytes). One may assume, that a manufacturer like HP isn't supplying ancient technology, but better safe than sorry.

Best regards,

Peter