Re: Mirage/kFreeBSD on GitHub

On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 04:42:48PM +0100, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
> That may be a patch worth upstreaming, as there are other
> supported platforms with soft-floats that would benefit from not
> requiring FP as part of the standard library.

Sure, my modifications in the run-time library are already separated by #ifdef
_KERNEL lines.  Regarding the stdlib, it is now a standalone OCaml package, but
it may be possible to merge it with the upstream sources later on.

However, I think that floating-point code is so popular in OCaml libraries
because such values are guaranteed to be 64-bit on most platforms, and
therefore let the developers play with larger numbers.  Note that we also
maintain the assumption that the target platform is 64-bit, so these changes
will mostly work with processors of that kind.  (Like my fix for the garbage
collector, where every number is shifted by one billion -- perhaps I could
have done it in a more elegant way, though.)