Re: [MirageOS-devel] Mirage OS 2.0 (or next) for OSCON?

Hi Lars and Anil,

To get things started, below are some questions that will help surface more information for a news release. I believe a phone call to discuss these makes the most sense. Should we/do we need to include anyone else (ie. lead for Xen/ARM port?)?

Please provide technical explanation of new features. Why do these new features matter? Who benefits from these updates? Are any of these first, best, only features that are unique to Mirage?

- the Xen/ARM port (lead: Thomas Leonard)
- Irmin storage integration (lead: Thomas Gazagnaire, Xenstore lead: Dave Scott)
- Name resolver for distributed computation (lead: Anil Madhavapeddy)

With the 2.0 release, how does Mirage stack up against other Cloud OSes?

In this blog, http://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/cloud-computing/751156-are-cloud-operating-systems-the-next-big-thing- Xen wrote that a big challenge for Cloud Operating Systems is the fact that today most cloud providers do not provide support for very small, high density VM deployments. Two things need to happen to resolve this. Hypervisors need to be able to run thousands of VMs on large hosts: this is something which is being addressed for Xen by increasing the numbers of Virtual Machines that can be run on hosts (see David Vrabelâs talk on Unlimited Event Channels). Cloud billing resolution would also need to adapt to allow charging for much smaller Virtual Machines that run for very short times (less RAM, less disk space, VM lifespan measured in seconds rather than hours). What progress has been made on this front?

Anything noteworthy to add about the interns working on Mirage this summer?

Is anyone using or prototyping any new mobile or cloud applications yet with Mirage? Any examples of Mirage supporting the kinds of network application loads that run on cloud infrastructure?

Is Mirage OS still considered a Xen âincubated projectâ or has it graduated with this new release? Anything noteworthy to mention about new/different/number of contributors, pace of community development, etc.?

What's next for Mirage, goals, etc.?Â

Thanks,

--
Sarah Conway