Re: [Wg-test-framework] Notes from Dec 10 meeting with AllNet

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 14:27:39 +0000
Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Don Koch writes ("Re: [Wg-test-framework] Notes from Dec 10 meeting with
> AllNet"):
> > On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 14:00:54 +0000
> > Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Are suitable adapters not available off-the-shelf ?  If we have
> > > homebuilt adapters we will need to keep documentation for them in case
> > > we want to make more, or in case they break.
> >
> > Supposedly there were. I think the vendor got them off the wrong shelf.
> > I suspect the ones they sent were for a UPS, but that's just speculation.
> > The pinouts had no basis on any reality I'm unaware of. (One wire was
> > soldered to the shell.)
>
> Perhaps the right way to fix this problem would be to go back to the
> supplier and ask them to supply the correct part ?

The correct part being one wired with the correct logical sex (i.e.
can be directly plugged in with no other adapters).

> (I appreciate that we might want to use a handmade thing in the
> meantime so as to get unblocked.)

Yes, this was done with expediency in mind.

> > These are documented on the Comtrol site. The only difference between
> > the "standard" ones and the ones that Chris George made are that the
> > standard ones would require a null modem adaptor. He just swapped the
> > Txd/Rxd, DSR/DTR and RTS/CTS pins and left DCD out.
>
> Null modem adapters are also available off-the-shelf.
>
> If we are to continue to use custom-made adapters I think we
> absolutely need a complete pinout specification.

Agreed. I've written up one which I want verified before
we commit. Will send it when confirmed for inclusion in the
git repository.