Re: [Wg-test-framework] linux 3.14.34 failure to detect disks on C600 storage controller

Ian Jackson writes ("RE: linux 3.14.34 failure to detect disks on C600 storage
controller"):
> Dugger, Donald D writes ("RE: linux 3.14.34 failure to detect disks on C600
> storage controller"):
> > I still think it's the initfs.  There's a lot of magic that happens when
> > creating the initfs and I've been burned by the magic getting confused in
> > the past.
> >
> > I guess I need to understand your build process better.  If you are
> > building a kernel on machine A and then booting on machine B you can get
> > hit by subtle issues in the build process.  The biggest issue is that, when
> > creating the initfs, by default the system identifies which kernel modules
> > to include in the initfs based upon what kernel modules are currently
> > loaded on the build machine.  If your build machine, for example, is using
> > IDE disks and the target machine is running SCSI expect to have problems.
>
> The initramfs is built on the target machine.  So I don't think this
> can be relevant.
>
> > On a related note, I've run into issues where Linux has split a module into
> > 2 separate modules which confuses the initfs magic and required manual
> > intervention.
>
> That would be a potential cause.
>
> > Another thing to try is to upgrade the Debian kernel on this machine.  You
> > say that Debian wheezy running 3.2 works, can you just update the that
> > machine to sid (which uses the 3.16) kernel and then see what modules are
> > needed, that might tell us what's wrong.
>
> I can try this.

Debian's 3.16:

(initramfs) cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

   8        0  976762584 sda
   8        1     291840 sda1
   8        2          1 sda2
   8        5  976467968 sda5
 254        0    1949696 dm-0
(initramfs) lsmod
usbhid                 44460  0
hid                   102264  1 usbhid
ohci_hcd               42982  0
uhci_hcd               43499  0
ehci_hcd               69837  0
usbcore               195340  4 usbhid,ohci_hcd,uhci_hcd,ehci_hcd
usb_common             12440  1 usbcore
dm_mod                 89373  2
sg                     29973  0
sd_mod                 44356  2
crc_t10dif             12431  1 sd_mod
crct10dif_common       12356  1 crc_t10dif
isci                  122261  1
ahci                   33291  0
libsas                 72596  1 isci
libahci                27158  1 ahci
libata                177457  3 ahci,libsas,libahci
scsi_transport_sas     33531  2 isci,libsas
e1000e                203664  0
ptp                    17692  1 e1000e
crc32c_intel           21809  0
pps_core               17225  1 ptp
scsi_mod              191405  6 sg,sd_mod,isci,libsas,libata,scsi_transport_sas
(initramfs)

The only module there that I can't load in my 3.14.36 is crc32c_intel.
That's CONFIG_CRYPTO_CRC32C_INTEL which I will try enabling.