Re: [Wg-test-framework] linux 3.14.34 failure to detect disks on C600 storage controller

Dugger, Donald D writes ("RE: linux 3.14.34 failure to detect disks on C600
storage controller"):
> I still think it's the initfs.  There's a lot of magic that happens when
> creating the initfs and I've been burned by the magic getting confused in the
> past.
>
> I guess I need to understand your build process better.  If you are building
> a kernel on machine A and then booting on machine B you can get hit by subtle
> issues in the build process.  The biggest issue is that, when creating the
> initfs, by default the system identifies which kernel modules to include in
> the initfs based upon what kernel modules are currently loaded on the build
> machine.  If your build machine, for example, is using IDE disks and the
> target machine is running SCSI expect to have problems.

The initramfs is built on the target machine.  So I don't think this
can be relevant.

> On a related note, I've run into issues where Linux has split a module into 2
> separate modules which confuses the initfs magic and required manual
> intervention.

That would be a potential cause.

> Another thing to try is to upgrade the Debian kernel on this machine.  You
> say that Debian wheezy running 3.2 works, can you just update the that
> machine to sid (which uses the 3.16) kernel and then see what modules are
> needed, that might tell us what's wrong.

I can try this.