RE: [Xen-devel] general question on how to install a new guest OS without rebooting

  • To: "Philippe Berthault" <Philippe.Berthault@xxxxxxxx>, "Xen-Devel" <Xen-Devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:24:56 -0000
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 12:26:47 +0000

> It seems that it is mandatory to reboot the platform in order
> to install a new guest OS, from CDROMs delivered with this OS.
>
> On a workstation, it is not a problem but on a server it is a
> big problem which is unacceptable for a professional usage of Xen.
>
> Is there a plan or a mean to resolve this problem, as in
> VMware product, where a new guest OS may be installed
> directly inside a virtual machine without disturbing the
> other guest OSes ?

After you've installed a particular distribution once, you 'can' the
pristine install either by tar'ing it up, or using LVM snapshots.
Depending on usage, you may need to do a little tailoring, such as
generating a unique ssh host key.

Another alternative is to use tools like 'debbootstrap' for doing an
install into another directory. For RH/FC the anaconda --rootpath
option may be useable to do the same thing, though I haven't tried it
myself.

Ian