Re: [Xen-devel] FreeBSD/Xen ugliness

> I tried 'make kernel-depend' under sys-5.2.1/ and
> sys-5.2.1/i386-xeno/compile/XENCONF; I got the "no target by that name"
> message in both cases. I tried to follow your directions, but it was
> difficult since things started diverging about halfway through.

I don't understand that. All I can do is try and start more or less from
scratch in my environment.

> Understood, but I can't seem to find anyone who can say for sure it even
> works; I thought I'd be able to build it, and no dice. I've been dealing

I can say for sure that it works in my environment. It is inevitable
that I have some undocumented assumptions. If you have the spare cycles
to work with me, I'll do what I can, time permitting, to make it work in
yours.

> with another (unrelated) FreeBSD annoyance, as well, and it's getting to
> me. I'm just generally irritated today, don't take it too personally. :)

I understand. I've dropped it several times in the past when things
simply required too much handholding to get working. From my experience,
*all* operating systems are perpetually in beta.

I've gotten a commitment from O'Brien to help me with getting the port
into FreeBSD's CVS. However, with the zillions of ports that he
maintains, I don't know how much time he is going to have - so it might
take a while.

> > I'm going to try and build FreeBSD against xen-2.0-testing.bk.
>
> If that works, will this prohibit it from playing nice with Xen 2.0.2?

Well, I'd like to see it work with all three trees (xen-2.0.bk,
xen-2.0-testing.bk, and xeno-unstable.bk). 2.0-testing just seems like a
good place to start.

                                -Kip