Re: [Xen-devel] Bandwidth monitoring?

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 23:39 -0600, Tim Freeman wrote:

> ok (never used it).
>
> How about iptraf?

> Here are some interesting links I just ran across, too:
> http://www.debianlinux.net/system_management.html#traffic_accounting

Now this part seems useful.  Two of the programs there use libpcap
(sniffing/promiscuous) to capture data. Since Xen uses bridging pcap is
able to view all traffic going through the bridge.  Of the two
applications bandwidthd seems the most promising as it is complete, used
commercially, and seems to be pretty active.  I'll be experimenting with
it and will follow up in a few days if it turned out to be worthwhile or
not.  The only real problem I envision is running a copy of it on each
Xen host... normally monitoring apps that put the interface into promisc
mode like to eat up CPU, if you're pushing over a few megabit/s out of
the server it will most likely consume more CPU than wanted although
filters can help reduce that.  I guess this will all be found out over
the next couple of hours/days.

Thanks,
Matt