Re: [Xen-devel] x2d2

> Andrew Warfield wrote:
>
> >We are in the process of some fairly major revisions to the control
> >tools.  I think that the general expectation is that 3.0 will show
> >some pretty big changes to the control interfaces and tools.  The
> >unstable tree now has a control switch (xcs) which sits under xend and
> >

> Wow.  I wrote the same exact thing about a week or two ago.
>
> I took a slightly different approach though.  I opened a unix domain
> socket to receive messages on and also opened up ptys for each domain.
>
> The daemon takes care of multiplexing and demultiplexing the messages so
> if your app sends a message, it will only get that response.
>
> What are your thoughts on this approach?  I particularly like the idea
> of piping the console data to a pty.

We thought about the pty approach, but resisted it because we
thought that in most setups there'd need to be a daemon running
in user-space to export the console (typically over the network),
and hence it wasn't worth the effort of turning it into a pty in
the kernel.

The current approach also minimizes the amount of OS-specific Xen
privileged interface code, which keeps the people interested in
using OSes other than Linux in domain 0 happy.

I could be persuaded, though...

Ian