Re: [Xen-devel] More on domU not starting -- HELP

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 15:48 -0600, Rob Gardner wrote:
> Ted Kaczmarek wrote:
>

> >Do not or use any existing designations or reuse any for domU's.
> >In your case I am assuming you have a /dev/hda.
> >
> >edit the domU fstab to /dev/sda1 for / and dev/sda2 for swap and the
> >domu config accordingly.
> >
> >Do not use sda1 or sda2 for any additional domU's.
> >
> >I will open up a bug on this shortly, this was bugging me for a while,
> >but with this workaround my domu's now come up 100% of the time every
> >time.
> >

> What was the exact failure mode you observed? It doesn't seem like it's
> the same problem I'm seeing...
>
> My domU doesn't get booted to anywhere near the point where fstab would
> make a difference. After the message:
>     xen_blk: Initialising virtual block device driver
> There is no message like:
>    Registering block device major xxx
> Which looks to me like the kernel is simply not finding any block device
> at all. Presumably this is because xen didn't provide one for it. Why it
> does that, I don't know. But it used to work just fine a few weeks ago.
>
> Rob

Mine where failing at unable to mount root device so it is likely you
are having something else happen, unless the pollution is related.

What changeset are you using?

Did your kernel config work before?

My Xen domO

CONFIG_XEN_PRIVILEGED_GUEST=y
CONFIG_XEN_PHYSDEV_ACCESS=y
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_BACKEND=y
# CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_TAP_BE is not set
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_BACKEND=y
# CONFIG_XEN_TPMDEV_FRONTEND is not set
# CONFIG_XEN_TPMDEV_BACKEND is not set
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND=y
# CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND is not set
# CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_TAP is not set
# CONFIG_XEN_SHADOW_MODE is not set
CONFIG_XEN_SCRUB_PAGES=y
CONFIG_XEN_X86=y
# CONFIG_XEN_X86_64 is not set
CONFIG_HAVE_ARCH_DEV_ALLOC_SKB=y

My xen domU

# CONFIG_XEN_PRIVILEGED_GUEST is not set
# CONFIG_XEN_PHYSDEV_ACCESS is not set
# CONFIG_XEN_TPMDEV_FRONTEND is not set
# CONFIG_XEN_TPMDEV_BACKEND is not set
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND=y
# CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND_PIPELINED_TRANSMITTER is not set
# CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_TAP is not set
# CONFIG_XEN_SHADOW_MODE is not set
CONFIG_XEN_SCRUB_PAGES=y
CONFIG_XEN_X86=y
# CONFIG_XEN_X86_64 is not set
CONFIG_HAVE_ARCH_DEV_ALLOC_SKB=y

Might also help to try a loop image as well and see if that will play
nice.

Regards,
Ted