Re: [Xen-devel] App virtualisation, not OS virtualisation

e OS.
Not really: Xen is extremely oriented towards encapsulating operating systems.
Encapsulating an application (whilst useful) is too "high level" for Xen;
it's really a separate problem space, since it'd basically share no code in
common with Xens current functionality.

On a sort of related note, I was wondering if it was on any roadmap to
support RAM sharing between OS instances -- like with VMware's clone
feature (or something like that), I think if you had two very similar
VMs, they would actually use less RAM and disk than each have, they
would just diverge where they are different (some sort of
copy-on-write scheme).

Thanks
Yes, that would solve my concern about wasted resource of having multiple copies of the same OS when all I want to do is run multiple apps.

In my case, I don't mind waiting 6 months for the virtualisation-enabled AMD or Intel processors to be available.

BTW, in my case I intend using Windows XP embedded which, amongst other things, will allow me to reduce the footprint of the Windows OS. I am assuming that there shouldn't be any problems with that with the current plans for Xen supporting Windows (?).

g.