RE: [Xen-devel] iommu: mapping reserved region failed - Q35 -VT-DIssue

  • To: "Stefan Bauer" <stefan.bauer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ross Philipson" <Ross.Philipson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:03:19 -0400
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:03:25 -0700

The dump of the DMAR on your system showed the individual remapping
hardware units and which PCI devices they handled. Here is an excerpt
(my comment prefixed with a **):

DMA Remapping Hardware Unit Definition (DRHD) Structure #1
Type:           0x0000 (ACPI_DMAR_DRHD)
Length:         0x0018
Flags:          0x00  -- INCLUDE_ALL = no
Reserved:       0x00
Segment Number: 0x0000
Register Base:  0xfed90000
    Device Scope Structure #1 ** This unit has one device scope entry
    ==========================
    Type:           0x01 (ACPI_DEV_ENDPOINT)
    Length:         0x08
    Reserved:       00 00
    Enumeration ID: 0x00 - Reserved
    Start Bus Num:  0x00
    Path Depth = 1, Path Entries:
       -- Device: 0x1b Function: 0x00 ** This unit support this
device/function on bus 0

DMA Remapping Hardware Unit Definition (DRHD) Structure #2
Type:           0x0000 (ACPI_DMAR_DRHD)
Length:         0x0028
Flags:          0x00  -- INCLUDE_ALL = no
Reserved:       0x00
Segment Number: 0x0000
Register Base:  0xfed92000
    Device Scope Structure #1 ** This unit has 3 device scope entries
each supporting one a different function on
device 3 bus 0
    ==========================
    Type:           0x01 (ACPI_DEV_ENDPOINT)
    Length:         0x08
    Reserved:       00 00
    Enumeration ID: 0x00 - Reserved
    Start Bus Num:  0x00
    Path Depth = 1, Path Entries:
       -- Device: 0x03 Function: 0x00 ** one function
    Device Scope Structure #2 ** another scope
    ==========================
    Type:           0x01 (ACPI_DEV_ENDPOINT)
    Length:         0x08
    Reserved:       00 00
    Enumeration ID: 0x00 - Reserved
    Start Bus Num:  0x00
    Path Depth = 1, Path Entries:
       -- Device: 0x03 Function: 0x02 ** another function
    Device Scope Structure #3 ** another scope
    ==========================
    Type:           0x01 (ACPI_DEV_ENDPOINT)
    Length:         0x08
    Reserved:       00 00
    Enumeration ID: 0x00 - Reserved
    Start Bus Num:  0x00
    Path Depth = 1, Path Entries:
       -- Device: 0x03 Function: 0x03 ** another function

Normally there is another DMA Remapping Hardware Unit Definition (DRHD)
that has the INCLUDE_ALL flag set and handles all devices that are not
specifically handled by DRHDs like the ones above (at least that has
been my experience though I haven't seen all that many machines). Your
system does not seem to have that. So there is no real way to setup DMA
remapping for any of the devices on your system that is not explicitly
represented above. My gut feeling is that it is a BIOS problem - the
ACPI tables are incorrect/incomplete but I cannot be sure.

If you use lspci you can see the (small) set of PCI devices that the
VT-d hardware seems to have DRHD units for. You might also want to
contact Lenovo and see if this is a known issue.

Thanks
Ross