Re: [Xen-devel] Driver domains and hotplug scripts, redux

2012/1/12 Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Ian Campbell writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Driver domains and hotplug scripts,
> redux"):
>> We need to consider 3 cases:
>> Â Â Â * guest initiated graceful shutdown
>> Â Â Â * toolstack initiated graceful shutdown
>> Â Â Â * toolstack initiated forceful destroy.
>
> When we consider that the driver and toolstack domains might be
> different, there are in fact three different levels of grace:
> Âi. Â fully graceful: wait for both guest and driver domain
> Âii. Âsemi graceful: mess up the guest, wait only for driver domain
> Âiii. very ungraceful: mess up the guest and the driver domain
>
> I'm not sure whether how often we want (iii), but (ii) is going to be
> the common case. ÂHowever:
>
>> The forceful destroy case is different, it is effectively:
>> 1. rm backend dir in xenstore.
>
> That's (iii). ÂWe want a way to do (ii) as well.

From my point of view, (iii) should only happen after (i) or (ii) has
failed (timeout or error trying to unplug devices).

What should we do with xend? Are we keeping it on 4.2? I'm asking this
because the changes I'm introducing disables some udev rules that are
needed for xend. The other option is to update xend to talk to
xenbackendd also.