Re: [Xen-devel] pvgrub2 is merged

Il 27/11/2013 12:50, Vladimir 'Ï-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko ha scritto:
On 27.11.2013 12:32, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
Il 26/11/2013 19:12, Andrey Borzenkov ha scritto:
Ð Tue, 26 Nov 2013 18:58:47 +0100
Fabio Fantoni <fabio.fantoni@xxxxxxx> ÐÐÑÐÑ:

I have also another question:
Is possible specify multiple path where search the grub.cfg for support
all mainly distributions and add a custom cfg path support taking it
from arguments?

You can do something like

if search --set root --file /boot/grub2/grub.cfg ; then
    configfile /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
elif search --set root --file /boot/grub/grub.cfg ; then
    configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
elif ...
fi
I tried with this:
cat > boot/grub/grub.cfg <<EOF
insmod lvm
insmod ext2
insmod part_msdos
insmod part_gpt
if search --set root --file /boot/grub2/grub.cfg ; then
   configfile /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
elif search --set root --file /boot/grub/grub.cfg ; then
   configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
fi
EOF

But it's not working and it prints this line indefinitely in loop:
error: no such device: /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.

That pretty much explains what happened: you don't have any
/boot/grub2/grub.cfg and when looking for /boot/grub/grub.cfg GRUB found
its own memdisk and fell into recursion. I'm not sure what should be the
proper way to solve this recursion.

Ok, now I understand with this:
cat > boot/grub/grub.cfg <<EOF
insmod lvm
insmod ext2
insmod part_msdos
insmod part_gpt
search -s root -f /boot/grub/grub.cfg
configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
EOF

that has the debian grub.cfg path equal to memdisk's grub, and then it loads the memdisk ones indefinitely.

Anyone know how to exclude memdisk from the search please?

With this:
cat > boot/grub/grub.cfg <<EOF
insmod lvm
insmod ext2
insmod part_msdos
insmod part_gpt
root='(xen/xvda,msdos1)'
configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
EOF

it loads correctly the Sid grub.cfg but grub fails to load with any entry I select, that domU stop.

xl -vvv create -c /etc/xen/sid.cfg
Caricamento Linux 3.11-1-amd64...
error: not xen image.
Caricamento ramdisk iniziale...
xc: debug: hypercall buffer: total allocations:237 total releases:237
xc: debug: hypercall buffer: current allocations:0 maximum allocations:4
xc: debug: hypercall buffer: cache current size:4
xc: debug: hypercall buffer: cache hits:226 misses:4 toobig:7

Maybe that grub is waiting for a dom0 configuration type (with also xen.gz) but find only kernel and ramdisk? (which is right for a domU)

If you need more tests/informations tell me and I'll post them.

Thanks for any reply.

I also tried with only these lines instead of conditions:
search -s root -f /boot/grub/grub.cfg
configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg

But all I get is the line "Welcome to GRUB!" followed by a white screen
on xl console.

I don't know what else to try :(

Thanks for any reply.

If xen provides way to pass arguments to kernel, it sure could be
implemented as arguments to grub. Actually someone asked for a way to
pass arguments to grub on EFI, so this could share implementation.