Re: [Xen-devel] Xen Platform QoS design discussion

>>> But in reality, all we need the daemon for is a place to store the
>>> information to query.  The idea we came up with was to allocate memory
>>> *inside the hypervisor* to store the information.  The idea is that
>>> we'd have a sysctl to prompt Xen to *collect* the data into some
>>> memory buffers inside of Xen, and then a domctl that would allow you
>>> query the data on a per-domain basis.
>>>
>>> That should be a good balance -- it's not quite as good as having as
>>> separate daemon, but it's a pretty good compromise.
>> Which all leaves aside the suggested alternative of making available
>> a couple of simple operations allowing an eventual daemon to do the
>> MSR accesses without the hypervisor being concerned about where
>> to store the data and how to make it accessible to the consumer.
>
>  From a libxl perspective, if we provide "libxl_qos_refresh()" (or
> "libxl_qos_freshness_set()") and "libxl_qos_domain_query()" (or
> something like it), it doesn't matter whether it's backed by memory
> stored in Xen via hypercall or by a daemon.
>
> What I was actually envisioning was an option to either query them by a
> domctl hypercall, or by having a daemon map the pages and read them
> directly.  That way we have the daemon available for those who want it
> (say, maybe xapi, or a future libxl daemon / stat collector), but we can
> get a basic level implemented right now without a terrible amount of
> architectural work.

But that's all centric towards the daemon concept (if we consider
storing the data inn hypervisor memory also being some kind of a
daemon). Whereas the simple helpers I'm suggesting wouldn't
necessarily require a daemon to be written at all - a query
operation for a domain would then simply be broken down at the
tools level to a number of MSR writes/reads.

>>> There are a couple of options regarding collecting the data.  One is
>>> to simply require the caller to do a "poll" sysctl every time they
>>> want to refresh the data.  Another possibility would be to have a
>>> sysctl "freshness" knob: you could say, "Please make sure the data is
>>> no more than 1000ms old"; Xen could then automatically do a refresh
>>> when necessary.
>>>
>>> The advantage of the "poll" method is that you could get a consistent
>>> snapshot across all domains; but you'd have to add in code to do the
>>> refresh.  (An xl command querying an individual domain would
>>> undoubtedly end up calling the poll on each execution, for instance.)
>>>
>>> An advantage of the "freshness" knob, on the other hand, is that you
>>> automatically get coalescing without having to do anything special
>>> with the interface.
>> With the clear disadvantage of potentially doing work the results of
>> which is never going to be looked at by anyone.
>
> Jan, when you make a criticism it needs to be clear what alternate you
> are suggesting.

With there only having been given two options, it seemed clear that
by seeing an obvious downside for one I would mean to other to be
preferable. Of course you're right in saying (further down) that the
risk of obtaining data that no-one is interested in is always there,
just that when someone says "poll" I'd imply (s)he's interested in the
data, as opposed to doing the collect periodically.

> AFAICT, regarding "collection" of the data, we have exactly three options:
> A. Implement a "collect for all domains" option (with an additional
> "query data for a single domain" mechanism; either by daemon or hypercall).
> B. Implement a "collect information for a single domain at a time" option
> C. Implement both options.
>
> "Doing work that is never looked at by anyone" will always be a
> potential problem if we choose A, whether we use a daemon, or use the
> polling method, or use the automatic "freshness" knob.  The only way to
> avoid that is to do B or C.
>
> We've already said that we expect the common case we expect is for a
> toolstack to want to query all domains anyway.  If we think that's true,
> "make the common case fast and the uncommon case correct" would dictate
> against B.
>
> So are you suggesting B (disputing the expected use case)?  Or are you
> suggesting C?  Or are you just finding fault without thinking things
> through?

I'm certainly putting under question whether the supposed use case
indeed is the common one, and I do that no matter which model
someone claims is going to be the "one". I simply see neither backed
by any sufficiently hard data.

And without seeing the need for any advanced access mechanism,
I'm continuing to try to promote D - implement simple, policy free
(platform or sysctl) hypercalls providing MSR access to the tool stack
(along the lines of the msr.ko Linux kernel driver).

Jan