Re: [Xen-devel] dead qemu make targets in toplevel Makefile

On Tue, 2014-10-07 at 15:07 +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
> Ian,
>
> with commit b0f69ec5c71de1248d915c193b57c43e786857dd ("tools: Make
> qemu-xen-traditional build optional.") the existing make targets are
> wrapped in ifeq ($(CONF),y), but CONF is never set because
> config/Tools.mk is not included. I wonder if that ever worked or if I
> just broke it with my changes. But looking at 4.4.1 I dont see how
> CONFIG_QEMU_TRAD is set. And in staging QEMU_TRAD_DIR_TGT is also not
> used.
>
> Are these make targets useful? I see "git clean -dfx && ./configure &&
> make tools/qemu-xen-traditional-dir CONFIG_QEMU_TRAD=y" clones the tree.

I think they were just intended as a convenient shortcut to allow
updating the cloned trees (which are otherwise not automatically
updated). I'm not sure how useful they are in practice.

It looks like my build scripts use "make -C tools $FOO-force-update", so
removing them would be a problem for me personally.

On the other hand since they are only for use by end users and not
dependencies of any other rule I suppose we could just nuke the
conditionals but leave the rules themselves?

Ian.