Re: [Xen-devel] xl/SR-IOV: disposition of VFs when PF disappears?

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 05:53:01PM +0000, Anirban Chakraborty wrote:

> On 10/27/14, 6:35 AM, "Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk" <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

> >>as a
> >>Shouldn't
> >
> >I am not sure I see the problem. If the user wishes to give the PF and
> >VF to a guest they should be able to do so?
>
> Theoretically, yes a guest can have a PF and all its VFs. However, from
> security perspective PF having the privilege of resetting the device etc.,
> should stay in a privileged domain. Most of the NICs have some sort of
> PF-VF communication where the PF driver would ensure that VF drivers are
> notified of imminent PF removal so that the VF drivers can prepare for a
> graceful halt of IO. Ideally, a PF removal should do a hot unplug of the
> VFs from the guests and admin should not have to manually remove them.

We seem to be talking about two different things.

1) Assigning a PF and VF to a guest. While it is stupid it should be
   be possible. We could add an warning to the 'xl pci-assign' command
   if somebody does that, but it should be possible.

2). PF removal. Currently if you try to unload the PF and the VFs
   are in use (pciback owns them), the unloading will not happen. Until
   all of the VFs have been de-assigned.
   Is the "bug" here that the reporter (Intel?) wants the VFs to be
   automatically yanked out of a guest when the system admin wants to
   unload the PF?