Re: [Xen-devel] Future support of 5-level paging in Xen:wq

The concern is the performance vs complexity . Walk the 5 level EPT is slower
than the 4 level EPT because
 It needs to access the memory one more time.
We can chose to enable 5 level EPT as long as the CPU support, or only when
it's needed, e.g.
 to support a guest with huge amount of  memory(beyond 48bit physical address
can support),
or when the host has a small amount of memory present.

The former is simple and straight forward, and the latter is better for
performance but add extra
mechanism  to choose the proper EPT level used. Which one to use may dependent
on the performance
gap.

Thanks!
Liang