Re: [Xen-devel] Future support of 5-level paging in Xen:wq

On 13/12/16 05:44, Li, Liang Z wrote:
> [...]

In this case, at the point that we support 5 level EPT, we are going to
have to support hardware with a walk length of 3 as well as 4, so we
will have code to deal with both.

There is nothing to be gained by using a walk length of 4 when 3 will
do, and a performance penalty for doing so.

I think it would be entirely reasonable (and hopefully straightforward)
to choose the walk length based on the toolstack-provided CPUID policy
maxphysaddr.  (Certainly more straightforward than getting Xen's memory
management code to understand 5-level plain pagetables.)

~Andrew