Re: Continuing the Gitlab experiment: Single-patch PRs for gitlab

On 04.09.2020 12:43, Bertrand Marquis wrote:
>> On 4 Sep 2020, at 11:20, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On 04.09.2020 11:54, George Dunlap wrote:
>>> At the community call last month as well as this, we discussed whether to
>>> continue the “Gitlab experiment”.  It was generally agreed that reviewing
>>> Juergen’s long series was fairly sub-optimal, and that email was more
>>> suited to that sort of series.
>>>
>>> That said, there was general agreement that requiring all patches to go
>>> through email was going to limit contribution, particularly of one-off
>>> “drive-by” contributions.  As such, it was proposed that we consider
>>> allowing both Gitlab PRs, and email: that for one-off or short series,
>>> Gitlab PRs would be accepted, but that for longer series and/or longer term
>>> contributors, we would encourage people to switch to patchbombing the
>>> mailing list.
>>>
>>> We decided to continue the “Gitlab Experiment”, but with short PRs.  As
>>> such, Andy Cooper has posted two PRs:
>>>
>>> https://gitlab.com/xen-project/xen/-/merge_requests/2
>>
>> This looks to be confusing, to me at least. Following this link I
>> can't see the actual change directly. Following either of the links
>> after "Request to merge" gives a 404 error (after gitlab not being
>> able to sign me in via Google, but then being able to sign me in
>> via github) on both
>>
>> https://gitlab.com/xen-project/people/andyhhp/xen
>> https://gitlab.com/xen-project/people/andyhhp/xen/-/tree/xen-pv-segbase
>
> I think you missed on top the “Commits” and “Changes"

I did indeed. Nevertheless I think the other links ought to be
working, as they're (I assume) going to give me a view of the
tree as a whole with the patch/series applied.

That said, from an engineer's point of view I think the main
thing of interest should be shown in the "primary" view, and
that's (imo) clearly the entire patch.

Jan